Tuesday 17 February 2009

It's A Small World, And A Weird One.....

So there I am sitting in my office in Northamptonshire, and I get a call from a bloke who has quoted to do some surveying work for us.... We've not used him before, and I've never even heard of him..... I don't know him from proverbial Adam.

But when I jotted down his phone number, I recognised the area code was for Maidstone in Kent - the area where I originally hail from. So just out of interest I asked him where he was based, and he named the village I went to school in..... So I asked him where exactly.....and he named the farm in the middle of nowhere that I grew up on...!

We lived in the farm house for donkey's years, and now this guy's office is about 25 yards away in the converted oast.

Of all the companies we might have chosen, and of all the people in my office who could have spoken to him etc, etc....

Well it's been freaking ME out all afternoon anyway....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best not to think too much about coincidence. It can do your head in.

There's a well-documented one about a girl from BT (I think - may have been another phone company) ringing an engineer at home to ask him to come to work. By mistake she dials the wrong number - of a phone box in a high street. The person who answers is the bloke she was calling. He happened to be walking past the phone box at the time, and picked up.

OMG.

Greenmantle said...

Actually my favourite is one that I heard when doing some work for Dave "Eurthymics" Stewart's photographic studio....

The story goes that whilst in the States collaborating with Bob Dylan, Dave Stewart gave him his address so Bob could look him up when he was next in London.

Some months later, Dylan decides to drop in for tea, but having mis-read the address, he directs his driver to Church Road, rather than Church Street.

Not at all sure that this looks like the right sort of place, he knocks nonetheless, and asks if Dave is around. The woman who answers says no, but as he's expected quite soon the legendary troubador is welcome to wait.

So shortly afterwards when Dave (a jobbing builder!) gets home, his wife says ..."Bob Dylan's in the lounge....."

Frankie said...

"Sexy" left a load of chinese on several of my posts as well....